The Workfare Training Scheme (WTS) encourages low wage workers to upgrade their skills through training, so that they can improve their employability and upgrade to better jobs. WTS is open to Singaporeans who meet eligible criteria.
Through WTS, low wage workers can benefit from higher course fee support when they sign up for any Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) courses at a Continuing Education and Training (CET) Centre.
WTS Eligibility Criteria
ALL specified criteria must be met in order to enjoy stated funding rates.
To be eligible, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen;
- Be a Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) recipient (proof of eligibility status is required);
- Be aged 35 & above;
- Have a monthly income of not more than $1,900; and
- Have signed up for a WTS qualifying courses.
How do Employers Benefit?
Benefit from 95% course fee and absentee payroll funding (no dollar cap) when you sign up your employees for qualified courses.
Application and Claim Process for employer-sponsored trainees under WTS
Employers will need to first pay the stated course fee per participant to the CET Centre.
Upon course completion, employers will need to submit a training grant claim via SkillsConnect for:
- Reimbursement of the additional course fee funding which they are entitled to under WTS and
- The enhanced absentee payroll funding
Applications are to be submitted between 180 days before and 30 days after the course start date. Claims are to be submitted no later than 120 days after the course has ended.
How do Employees Benefit?
Eligible Singaporeans will enjoy 95% course fee funding if you sign up for any qualifying training courses under WTS.
If you sign up for training on your own, you may also receive Training Allowance at $4.50 per training hour*. You can also enjoy cash awards of up to $400 a year if you are a Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) recipient and have successfully attained Statements of Attainment (SOAs) / Modular Certificates / Qualifications for the qualifying Certifiable Skills Training courses.
* Trainees must:
- achieve an attendance record of at least 75%;
- sit for all assessments;
- pass the course; and
- be employed in a vocation which is relevant to their training
When signing up for training or applying for funding, please bring your National Registration Identification Card (NRIC) and any of the following documents to demonstrate your eligibility to receive WTS course fee funding:
- WTS notification letter; or
- Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) payout notification letter; or
- Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) tax notification letter; or
- SingPost receipt for CPF income declaration; or
- Any 1 of your last 3 months’ payslips; or
- Employment letter / contract dated not more than 3 months before course registration
For more information on the Workfare Training Support (WTS) scheme, please call the WTS toll free hotline at 1 800-5368 333, email: firstname.lastname@example.org visit www.workfare.sg
Click here to access the SkillsConnect website