With the enforcement of The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1978 (amended in 1995) or STCW 95 Regulation I/8 in short, the International Safety Management (ISM) code requires the adoption of STCW to be verified. Maritime education and training institutes need to be certified to a quality management system that is recognised internationally.
The Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA) of the Singapore Polytechnic and TÜV SÜD PSB has jointly developed a standard known as PSB 100:2002, Standard for Quality Maritime Education and Training which can be used as an auditing standard. This standard is based on ISO 9001:2000 and complies with STCW 95 requirements and is endorsed by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) and the Danish Maritime Authority (DMA).
TÜV SÜD PSB QMET Certification Scheme is a third-party certification that is open to both local and overseas maritime education and training institutes. Institutes which are not yet certified to ISO 9000 or those already certified to ISO 9001/2:1994 and are thinking of converting to ISO 9001:2000 can apply. Upon successful certification, the institute will be awarded two certificates, one for meeting ISO 9001:2000 requirements and another for meeting STCW 95 requirements.
Benefits of QMET Certification
Maritime education and training institutes will enjoy the following benefits when certified under this scheme:
- Benchmarking themselves against internationally recognized standards
- Being awarded a certificate that is recognized by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore and the Danish Maritime Authority on meeting STCW 95 requirements.
- Being awarded a certificate that proves that the quality management system of the institute meets the requirements of the ISO 9001:2000 standard
- Internal benefits arising from implementing a system that meets both STCW 95 and ISO 9001:2000 standards
- Enhanced status, employability and market value of maritime personnel educated and trained in a certified institute
- Interacting with well qualified maritime education professionals and quality auditors, on a regular basis, will help to continually improve the institute
If you are interested in getting QMET certification from TÜV SÜD PSB or wish to have more information, please contact Mr Yong Kin Meng at Tel : (65) 6885 1654 HP: 9171 9684 or email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- We provide objective recommendations for ongoing continuous improvement.
- We focus on the effectiveness of the system and its practicality in the local environment.
- We are a highly professional, independent, impartial and unbiased certification body.
- We have a qualified and experienced pool of auditors around the ASEAN region.
- The TÜV SÜD PSB certificate is recognized and accepted internationally.
"The management understands the importance of impartiality in our certification of management systems. We will use all reasonable efforts to manage all possible conflicts of interest and ensure objectivity of our certification services".